Cultivating Leadership from the Inside Out
What is leading from the inside out?
I believe leadership is an invitation into collective purpose that naturally emerges from our own grounded presence and inner compass.
True leadership is inviting others to follow, not forcing them, through tapping into collective purpose. Our power as leaders naturally emerges from tuning into our shared purpose as humans including core needs for safety, belonging, and dignity. By connecting into our own grounded presence, we slow down and get present.
When we are present we can stay with whatever is happening in the moment, see and make new choices, see and access multiple perspectives, stay calm and creative, and extend this presence to others. This is our inner compass that is always there for us to connect into as we lead others.
© 2020 TransformAble Coaching and Consulting LLC
What are the layers of leadership?
Leading from the inside out is the process of tapping into our inner resources and bringing them out in our leadership by moving through five layers of leadership:
- Presence: Centering -- Leadership starts with presence, from there clarity emerges. We can access our inner presence through centering.
- Awareness: Noticing -- Once present, we focus attention and raise awareness. Noticing brings the invisible into awareness.
- Choice: Intending -- When we are aware we make conscious choices. We choose with purpose and direction by intending.
- Practice: Embodying -- Choices come to life through practice, our actions happen through our bodies, and we practice leadership by embodying our vision.
- Community: Connecting -- We are wired to be in community – as leaders we build community and maximize impact by connecting.
The Ripple Effect
These layers are concentric circles to illustrate that each layer impacts the next – and finally leadership as a whole has impact -- just like ripples from a stone thrown in the water. What we do as leaders ripples out into our organizations and communities. Starting from the inside out allows us to lead from centered clarity to maximize our positive impact. What ripples are you creating with your leadership?